Home / Surgical Oncology Treatment In India
Oncology involves the study of cancer. An oncologist treats cancer and provides medical care to cancer diagnosed person.
The field of oncology comprises of three main specialties- medical, surgical, and radiation.
• Medical: Use chemotherapy and other medications such as immunotherapy and targeted therapy to treat cancer.
• Surgical: Remove tumor and tissue during surgery. Perform biopsies to diagnose cancer.
• Radiation: using radiation therapy for treatment.
The earlier cancer is diagnosed and treated, the chance of its cure is better. There are many types of cancer treatment.
Surgery: a procedure to remove cancer from the body.
• Radiation Therapy: uses a high dose of radiation to kill cancer cells. Also, to shrink tumors.
• Chemotherapy: uses drugs to kill cancer cells.
• Immunotherapy: a treatment to help your immune system fight cancer.
• Targeted Therapy: a cancer treatment aims at any changes in the cancer cells that grow, divide and spread.
• Hormone Therapy: it slows or stops the growth of prostate or breast cancer that uses hormones to increase.
• Stem Cell Transplant: a procedure to restore blood-forming stem cells in cancer patients who have been destroyed by heavy doses of radiation therapy or chemotherapy.
• Precision Medicine: helps doctors select precision treatment based on the genetic understanding of the disease.
Most doctors suggest a combination of treatments such as surgery with radiation therapy and/or chemotherapy.